Home > Media > Press Releases > HSHS hospitals urge people to protect themselves against carbon monoxide poisoning

12/6/2017

HSHS hospitals urge people to protect themselves against carbon monoxide poisoning


With the weather becoming colder and winter just a few weeks away, HSHS Sacred Heart and St. Joseph’s hospitals are urging people to be vigilant to protect themselves against carbon monoxide poisoning. 

“During this time of year, many turn on their heating systems and mistakenly warm their cars in garages, which can be fatal,” said HSHS Sacred Heart and St. Joseph’s hospitals’ Chief Physician Executive Dr. Erik Dickson.

The National Safety Council recommends that people install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector in their homes near bedrooms. “A good rule of thumb is to check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall to ensure its effectiveness,” added Dickson.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offer these additional tips:
• Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

• Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.

• Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent; fatal levels of carbon monoxide can be produced in just minutes.

• If you have a chimney, have it checked and cleaned every year, and make sure your fireplace damper is open before lighting a fire and well after the fire is extinguished.

• Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly.

• Never use a gas oven for heating your home.

• Never let your car run idle while in the garage.

Low to moderate carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. High poisoning can include mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, and loss of consciousness. If you or a loved one are displaying these symptoms, call 911 immediately.
 
 

Media Contacts


Communications Department
Open 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday
Contact: 715.717.4256
Shannon Portell
shannon.portell@hshs.org

............

For reporters: 715.717.4747

Reporters are encouraged to contact us with media questions during or after business hours (no sales calls, please)